Recipes for Ramadan: Ice Cream Lover’s Chocolate Pie
Serves 8, 2 hours
Someone passed me this dessert recipe years ago, and it’s still one of my favourites. There’s no need to choose between chocolate, ice cream or pastry with this dish – it’s a bit time-consuming, but the result is totally indulgent.
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 125 grams chopped butter
- 200 grams chocolate
- 500ml vanilla ice cream
- 500ml chocolate ice cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml cream
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, icing sugar, butter and cocoa. Use your fingers if necessary to mix it through properly.
- Add the egg yolk, then mix through until you have a heavy dough
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Use the dough to evenly line a 24cm pie tin, prick the base, then allow it to sit for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C and bake the crust for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 160C, and continue baking for 5 minutes. Then remove and allow to cool completely.
- Melt 100g chocolate, and brush the pie crust with it, then chill.
- While the chocolate base is cooling, melt the remaining 100g chocolate, then stir the cream through and refrigerate – this is the sauce.
- Add the ice cream as the filling for the pie, cut out a slice and drizzle with the chocolate sauce.
Get many more recipes like this in my book Recipes for Ramadan, available through Amazon – click here!